Friday, November 9, 2018

Snowman Snowglobes

Just finished up these little cuties. They won't be at the Burkittsville show they are just something I worked up for myself. Last year around Christmas time I was in Michael's and happened across these little plastic globes. I couldn't resist picking up a large one and a small one but I didn't know what I was going to do with them. I had seen something about crocheting with wire and got to thinking about these battery wire light strings I use all the time but I needed some length so I went to Amazon and did a search and found these ones that are 33' long. I thought that should give me plenty of length to work with. The lights came as a 3 pack thankfully I started to crochet a chain with a size K hook and was going pretty well until the wire broke.......I was busy since it was the holidays so I just put everything in a bag and forgot about it. Well, last week I came across them again. So the ideas started coming to me then. I was able to fit the piece that broke over the smaller globe and use some of the end that broke off to kind of tie it together so it would stay on the globe and all the wire matched. Then I got out a new string and started.....carefully....crocheting the wire around the larger globe. This time it didn't break!! I did have to take a piece of the broken wire to help hold the bottom close to the globe but it really blended in. Then I thought about this little snowman ornament I had made a few years ago. It would fit perfectly in the larger globe. Then I thought about the littler one I made that is in the December issue of Crochet World. It fit perfectly in the smaller globe!! The only difference in the two snowmen is the size of the thread they were made out of. The larger one is size 10 the smaller is size 40. The larger one the head is 1 1/2" and the body is 2". The little one the head is 1" and the body 1 1/2". Amazing how things turn out using the same pattern but different size threads!! I added little skis to them, they are just the same pattern as the scarf made as long as desired with the last row decreased to form the point end. There is no set pattern for any of it except the snowmen and the link is below. The wire design over the globe isn't perfect, the wire is a little tricky to work with. The snowflake they are sitting on inside the globe I just went with from another pattern and then I added the shell "doily" around the bottom to hide the opening of the globe. It has a large circle opening that I just slipped over the opening. All very simple to do and it didn't take all that long. Plus I have a few more ideas that came to me of other similar patterns I can make like this, too!! One project always leads to another !!! I doubt I will ever write up the pattern to this but maybe something similar in the future😉

3 comments: