Saturday, October 19, 2019

Autumn Wreath

I had bought this pip berry and rusty star garland with the intention of draping it across a hutch for the summer months.  When it arrived it was shorter than I thought it would be and way darker.....more like for Halloween I thought. So I went to put it in the craft room storing it away for fall and when I laid it down it curled into this ring..... A light bulb went off and I thought hey!!!  a wreath!!  Then the ideas started coming so I went to my stash of embroidery hoops and found a 12" that fit the garland perfectly. I think the garland turned out to be 40". I painted the hoop black. Then I thought about what to put in the center of the wreath.  There are tons of beautiful fabrics out there especially for fall and I thought about stretching one of those in the center then of course crochet popped into my head.  


So I came up with simple filet pumpkin pattern.  Very simple, just drew it out on my filet computer program but you could also do it on a piece of graph paper.  The gauge for my own tension  of crocheting was  4 spaces and 4 rows - 1" The thread I used was Aunt Lydia's size 10 in Russet



I stretched it into the ring.....



Then trimmed off the back pretty close to the hoop.  I spread Elmer's glue all over the edges to keep them from fraying and let it dry overnight.  


Then I took black zip ties....


....and zipped the garland around the hoop to secure it.  



The hanger is just a piece of jute twine in the embroidery hoop top. 


I'm pretty happy with how it turned out and was able to put the garland that didn't work out to a better use!!



It's very pretty on the door this fall especially with the inside light shining thru!!

You can make your own with the fabric center, just hot glue the wreath/garland to the front of the hoop instead.  With the filet there were holes to run the zip ties thru.  

Happy Fall Y'all!!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment